6/07/2005

Memento

"A remarkable piece of work"...Yes. Iam referring to Memento. I had the occasion to see this 2001 "blockbuster" only recently..about a week back. And in hindsight, I thank my stars that I saw this with one of my more intellectual friends. You will understand the benefit of that soon, for seeing it in solitude might just have made me lose half my hairs. An extremely well knit, puzzling story it was. And i personally feel it was made for the intelligentsia. Seeing the film reviews, it was apparently clear that almost all the critics had'nt apprehended it. Only a countable nunber actually saw through the tunnel, and were able to cognize it. Before all that, let me tell you this. If you have not watched the movie, please do not do so unless you get hold of the summary of it from an amigo. Anyway, let me continue with it's praise. The most noticable and astounding fact about it is that it runs in reverse. And this brainflash must have occured to none less than a mathematician's caliber. And the beauty of it us that you dont actually realize that you are seeing it backward. The set of events which take place make the movie go in the forward direction. After each scene, you crave for the next. You have your hands clasped, your brain on a high(no pun), anticipating the next clip. It's such a wonderful ride that a guy seeing this will have utilized more of his grey cells than he would have for solving a krotov problem.I am obviously not going into the story or anything here, but just writing about the effects this movie produces on a naive viewer. The most probable effect would be to just shut the movie down,or maybe walk out(if you are in a theatre). It's very difficult to retain the calm and composure for the 2 odd hours. I'll put forth the idea of the movie. Its about this guy, who wants to avenge the killing of wife. And the most important part is, he does not have short term memory..he can remember incidents only upto the murder of his wife. So he goes about it.Like I said before, the movie starts off with the scene where he shoots the murderer. And then, proceeds backwards. You have to see it to believe it..no further insights..you can see it for yourselves. But all I would say is, the movie has far wider implications than that. Anyways ,enjoy the movie. AND PREFERABLY DO NOT SEE IT ALONE. It's just an advice after all..have fun.

5 comments:

displayname said...

Wow, I saw it just three days ago, what a coincidence!
But I must disagree with you on many things -- for one, I firmly believe that it is necessary to watch it alone to appreciate it. For another, I don't think it's a "blockbuster" — it made less than 26 million dollars and I don't think that qualifies as a blockbuster, IMHO.
Anyway, not to offend you or anything, but may I make some comments about your writing style (I do such things in the hope that others will criticise me in return, but usually they just get pissed off and don't point out my mistakes, which defeats my entire purpose :( )

1. There should be spaces after punctuation, such as commas and full stops (BTW, did you know that "full stop" is also known as "full point"? (Remember AVS in college? He was right, after all!))
2. Use paragraphs and newlines more liberally, you don't want the entire thing to be one big running text.
3. Don't use big words. At least, don't use words like "intelligentsia" (typo, BTW) and "cognize", and then go on to use "ur" in the same text. I mean, "ur" just doesn't go well with big words. (No actualy, I'm only saying this because I hate seeing "ur" anywhere. Ignore this.)
4. AND IT'S / ITS:
PLEASE!!!
It's very simple to learn:
It's := Contraction of "it is"
its := Belonging to it
Look here. And while you're at it, also here and here. I really feel like Bob sometimes.


*****SPOILER WARNING*****









Returning to the movie -- there are somethings I didn't get, or at least, they were left intentionally ambiguous. Is what Teddy tells him at the end (of the movie, the beginning of the story) true? How much of it? If it is true, then how can he remember the pinch? He can't remember facts, but maybe he can remember delusions?

Anyway, I don't know if you wrote this from the standpoint of what we "know" at the beginning of the movie or what we "know" at the end, but in the latter case, it's not true that Teddy is a murderer :-)

Anonymous said...

fantastic da....and that was a pseud title for your blog....verbodynamics!!

Anonymous said...

Hi kartik ,can u pls explain what does ur title mean? i thought abt it and i'am at cmplte loss.R U GOT ITS??

Gaju Krishna said...

Do you write with a thesaurus thrust in your face? Your choice of words bordered on the pinnacle of superciliousness.:)

Gaju Krishna said...

What the heck is 'Krotov'? I presume you are trying to regurgitate into this maiden blog (why else would you try so hard)everything you have cognized so far?:) Presumptous it may sound, but I am sure you will agree. (I ain't overcritical ,for you see I liked some of your later blogs.)