2/26/2006

Goody feeling

The last 3 days were pretty eventful. After 2 days of racking my brains, running around, getting feedbacks and opinions, I finally decided to minor in Financial Management. And I hope to get it.
Herd mentality again showed up. People taking Operations Research left and right, without having the faintest of ideas what it's about. I fell for it pretty much too, in the beginning, until my good friend reminded me of this. I had to rethink. And finally, to my happiness now, I chose FM. This was initially greeted with disappointment at home, the argument being ' You should learn Tech when you're at a Tech Institute'. Anyways, now it's fine, and they're happy too. I'm actually very excited about this. Much more than I was when I came here. Dunno why. (A bit sad though as I've unofficially ruled myself out of contention for the Lehman Intern next year)

After all this hullabaloo, I went on a trip with parents to a few temples near my native place, and around Pondicherry. I seriously had a fantastic time! It felt so good to be amidst people who simplify life greatly. Which puts me to shame. On one hand we're here, thinking of when to have the next pizza, cribbing about shortage of time. On the other hand, there are these people who lead such placid lives, work 365 days a year, without a tantrum. Such starkly different from ours. Kids playing around in sand, not worrying which book is better. Ladies going around in fields, with pots of water, not shopping for clothes. Men selling stuff for a measly 2 bucks, no bargaining for a one fourth reduction. This visit also reminded me how regularly I used to go temples to when I was young, and how complacent I've become of late. The roll numbers I used to leave behind in those temple walls seems a thing of the past. The Kalkandu which I use to eat so excitedly is forgotten. How life moves on!

If there's something that can make me shed a tear, it's nostalgia.

9 comments:

all or nothing said...

if there's something that can make me smile, it's nostalgia. And a post about it. Nice :)
( those roll numbers seem to have done their work)

SpankMac said...

hey ya nostalgia sometimes gets in the way of so many things. but it does bring a smile to your face most of the times.. though i feel really sad about some not-so-nice or stupid things i've done.

Anonymous said...

Hm, you seem to want to avoid popular opinion like the plague...I'm not sure whether 'being _different_' with a vengeance is either necessary or logical.

CB said...

Kv boy.
'you seem to want to avoid popular opinion like the plague'
didn't get you.

about the different thing, ya..I didn't mean I wanted to be different. If I really wanted OR as much as FM, i would have taken it, along with n other junta. It's jus to my good(or bad) luck that what i like generally seems out of the way.

Makam said...

Do what your inner voice says...

Dharik said...

unearthing those sweet pleasures of the past would recharge one with full enthu for the future!!!

wolverine said...

hey man.. i am varun

AWY said...

cute...
tho i think the nostalgia is an afterthought...
simplicity is almost extinct...
like steel tumblers or dusty World Books in dingy libraries...
old, nice and leaves you feeling good abt yourself...
now i'm getting nostalgic...

passing thru.
nice blog.

CB said...

priya and anna
thanks.