12/22/2006

1Q

At some stage of life, I might be with a company and might come to the insti for recruitment. I was thinking of questions I would ask students. Yes, my tactic would be this: First find out the branch of the interviewee, and then base a single question on that branch. Would be good enough I suppose.

Computer Science - Answer all my questions in 0s and 1s. First question, what's your name?

Electrical - Show me an electron. Also, demonstrate to me how you will explain the concept of junction potential to a snake in front of you.

Mechanical: Draw the free body diagram under dynamic conditions, of the air molecule at a distance of 10cm from your retina. Clearly indicate the reaction forces. You may not assume continuum. Also, explain the action of a dust particle as a microturbine to the air molecule you just analysed.

Chemical - Explain the role of CFD in waste water management.

Engineering Physics - I'm going to select you only if you are in the top 10 percent of your class. Are you?

Aerospace - You must have done an Airplane Design course. Replace air by water and tell me the design procedure. Answer in brief and be accurate.

BioTech - Do you like drugs? If yes, explain why. If no, convince me that your answer will not change even upon the action of Sodium Thiopental

Civil - Look at the ceiling. Assuming we sit here forever, tell me, how long will it take for the ceiling to fall on us. Think mathematically.

Metallurgy - If you have 1kg of metal on one hand and 1kg of non metal on the other hand, which will itch more? Explain using any theorem you've studied.

Naval Architecture - You must have done a Ship Design course. Replace water by air and tell me the design procedure. Answer in brief and be accurate.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I maybe a random blogger who happened to stumble upon your blog, but all your posts are HILARIOUS!!!

Shankar said...

nice ones :)

Mohan K.V said...

Hey, either I'm in a totally stoned out state, or this post is a very deeply thought out metaphor for some seriously interesting stuff.

I couldn't figure out what you were thinking of CS, Elec, EP and Meta, but

1. Mech: I'm working on something called Swarm Intelligence in IE right now, and all I'm seeing are swarms and particles everywhere ! I happened to read Crichton's 'Prey' .. do read it, it is remarkable scifi in the sense that one of the technologies described is (currently) total crap, while the other is totally true ! and the two mix amazingly !!

Back to mech, come to think of it, there is no reason to suppose that newtonian mechanics would fail at this range, this isn't small enough for quantum yet; thereforce, I will go ahead and draw a circle on my paper, and pepper it with arrows. What forces?
1. gravitational
2. van der waals attraction to nearby molecules (how many? I don't know.)
3. repulsion from other molecues
4. Any magnetic fields around? to be safe, let us include Earth's B.

You bring in the microturbine then. That will bring in strong electromagnetic forces (MEMS-style) that will quite swamp out the gravitational and other forces. Macha, this is strong research material !

Chem: I saw an ad for COMSOL recently, it is a full-fledged 'multi-physics' FEM package, and costs a fortune. All the examples they had shown were sort of similar to the chem example you wrote, for ex.: 'You can perform FEM analysis of the electromagnetic fields inside a hypertransformer'

Aerospace and nav arch
- I read Cryptonomicon recently, and it had some info on the synthesis of one of the first jet engines : it was called a 'turbine for air' when they first made it ! Also coincidentally,I was talking to Shyam (aero 4th year) about apping in aero, and our man says Turbomachiney is *the* hottest app subject in aero ! The example he gave was very convincing: an aircraft compressor should work at speeds of 1200 kmph; 800 deg. celsius, it should not have vibrations, it should not consume too much power, it should be light weight, it should be compact, and as if we aren't out of the room in disgust yet, it should have a high efficiency! So naturally, this subject is a hotbed of research!

And I'm quite sure we didn't think the same when we finished the course :-)

Um, yeah, I _am_ in a totally stoned out state :-)

Anonymous said...

stud max

Czar said...

I wish I pass out ASAP.. ;)

Anonymous said...

wicked, particularly CS.

but these days, interviewers are to screw around with people's heads - in terms of what kind of people they are.

what'd you ask then?

*evil grin spreads across half-face*

Anonymous said...

hail cb, the recruitment guy in hr.
why don't you make a list of the answers you might receive, too?

Anonymous said...

Hi people!
Christmas Day falls on December 25. It is preceded by Christmas Eve on December 24, and in some countries is followed by Boxing Day on December 26. Some Eastern Orthodox Churches celebrate Christmas on January 7, which corresponds to December 25 on the Julian calendar. December 25 as a birthdate for Jesus is merely traditional, and is not thought to be his actual date of birth.Good luck!

S said...

how? no, seriously, how? *looks heavenward*

CB said...

How what?!

S said...

how come you're the ONLY person on the face of the planet who comes up with THAT? :O

Ankita DJ said...

Biggie boy! If you replace water by air, its an aerospace problem! ask those guys! problem solved! :D

SpankMac said...

my favourite was meta :D

Anonymous said...

Hello! Nice page karthikcb.blogspot.com! Thanks.
hydrocodone
http://www11.asphost4free.com/tramadolrx/Tramadol.html tramadol [url=http://www11.asphost4free.com/tramadolrx/Tramadol.html]tramadol[/url]