3/22/2007

Brilliant people

I have been fortunate enough to encounter and interact with brilliant minds with the passage of time. I just thought I'd pen them down. In no particular order, these are the four best minds I've met :

1. Nema

Good friend and classmate at BASE during JEE times. Nema was the guy who was at a completely different level altogether, which we just had to accept. There was no point, absolutely NO point in trying to reach him. We just had to give up and awe at him. I still remember the Physics tests where most of us would score 40-50 on 100 and be elated, and there he would come, with a score of 85, beating the second highest by 35-40 marks flat. He was an absolute God in Physics; his understanding would be completely different; he could learn physics on his own. One of his beauties after which we were left amazed, I remember, was a SHM problem from a FIITJEE test, which none of us got as it was conceptually confusing. Here was our man, explaining to me a macroscopic SHM problem with springs from a microscopic level, atoms colliding - energy transfer in different axis - Motion - SHM. And it turned out to be right! Mother of God! None of us were surprised when the man put AIR 10.

2. Shreevatsa

Another good friend of mine, who also reads my blogs and comments regularly. I don't have much to say about him except for the fact that I decided long back never to solve problems with him; it would humiliate me, make me feel like I should go back to first standard. There was one speciality in him - The problems we all (mere mortals) could solve, he would take almost the same time, and sometimes slightly more. The problems we used to brand as impossible to solve, or just let it go, he would always solve it in less than a couple of minutes. Such are his brains, such is Vatsa, and I'm proud of him.

3. Prahalad Rao a.k.a PR

My Organic Chemistry prof at BASE, for JEE. Well, it seemed to us that God himself had sent him to earth to teach people Organic Chemistry. I mean, how, how how how could a man be SO strong in a subject? Amongst a million miracles PR pulled off in front of us, this was one, just ONE:

There was a problem in Seyhan Ege : Complete the reaction. And two of the reactants were given. I don't remember the reactants, but they were huge with many functional groups that could all react amongst themselves; Siva and I broke our heads so badly for an entire day and couldn't solve it. The answer was given at the end of the book, and the answer was: No reaction. We wondered and wondered, how the hell could there be no reaction when there were SO many functional groups, acidic and basic sites? We decided to make the final move : Go to PR. However, we decided NOT to take the book to him, and copied the problem down on a sheet. Next day, we went. And this is what happened.

Me: Sir, I have a problem. I'm not able to find the products of the reaction (Showed him)

PR: Hmm. (Thinks for 5-6 seconds. Has a look)

PR: This is a bit tricky. But I would say there is no reaction.

Me and Siva: (Wtf Wtf Wtf! How the Fuck)

Me: How sir?

PR: Well, this compound will have pKa of around 6, the other one around pKa 13, so they wont react.


4. Ananthasuresh

I have only two words for him: Raw Genius. Well, I was here at IIT, and I didn't (fortunately or unfortunately) meet many people who I could awe at, like Nema or Vatsa, or PR. That was true till last summer. Till I reached IISc, and met Suresh. It was time again for me to realize how the world is gifted with brilliant people. The difficulty with research (from my limited knowledge) is this: When you encounter a conceptual hurdle, you usually HAVE to solve it yourself, simply because such a conceptual problem at an intermediate stage of research cannot be solved by anyone else unless they are researching on exactly the same topic. In other words, unless someone's working on EXACTLY the same stuff as you, it becomes very difficult for him/her to help you overcome a hurdle, again, simply because he/she would not know what the intricacies are, and the real reason you're stuck. Now, typically this is what would happen: I would work on a problem for 1-2 days, putting full fight. I would reach a certain stage, where I would be stuck. Stuck conceptually. I would try my best to move forward, but it wouldn't happen. I would then meet him to discuss. I would keep talking, explaining what I had done, and there he was - Understanding every little detail. Think of it, he could understand at the speed at which I spoke. At the end of it, he would just smile, and tell me where exactly I went wrong, and how I should proceed from then on. I can't even explain to you the feeling I got during these times. Either it's my inability to express, or it's beyond expressible. The feeling was so great, that to the shock of a few of my friends, I started telling them 'Man, I want to do a PhD here'. Of course it was momentary bliss, but bliss it was.

I'm just hoping I keep meeting people like these throughout life. It gives me a kick. It makes me happy. It humbles me. It makes me think. Think of how I can reach somewhere close to them.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

not surprisingly no iit profs on the list

Shankar said...

pr is god ... no doubt ... i doubt if i will ever meet a prof better then him

CB said...

Anon:
Ob! No IITM prof even comes close.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Your (2) is full of lies :P

It's true that I'm slow-witted and take much longer on even simple problems, but the rest... :)

It's nice that you posted this, though... I owe much of what I am/know/have to the amazing, brilliant, inspiring people I've been lucky to meet... people like you. I should take stock some day... although when I do, I'm sure I won't return you the embarrassment by making such a short list :)

ThulpeR said...

Wonder what made you leave out BSR!

SpankMac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SpankMac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SpankMac said...

i guess all the profs who're too good don't bother coming here :)

Cheeky said...

Hey! There are some very stud profs in IITM. Give them some credit.

the Monk said...

Amen to the last paragraph.

jiten-patel said...

Could,t help leaving a comment on this... ananthasuresh is just a genius... Any problem in the world has a solution when its ananthasuresh and his greatness lies in the fact that he in fact makes u believe it and u end up feeling that u solved the problem . ha ha ha

Arry Potter said...

Can you review and add my blog please

www.formatnreload.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

when is ur next blog....

Vijay Shankar said...

Hey, something similar to what you described about Prof. Ananthasuresh happened to me during my summer intern.