2/11/2008

Of hoardings and advertising

I was thinking of this yesterday. It seems an idea worth trying out - for fun - after talking to Caesar.

A few advertising hoardings you see daily on the roads - have "Contact 98843..." written on them. The purpose is obviously simple - The contact number is that of the owner of the hoarding space. You call that number, pay the rent for a fixed period of time, and use the hoarding to put up whatever Ad you want.

Now, what if I decide to do this: I call up the guy, pay him the rent for (say) three months and get the permission to put up anything I want. I decide to retain the "Contact 98843..." on it, but change ONE digit in the number. For three months, people would call the number only to reach nowhere. After three months, when the owner actually puts his own number back, people wouldn't notice the difference and they'd stop calling. He would lose a lot of business, right?

How does it sound? :-)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm.. now why didnt i think of that now

amrit said...

If I were the owner of the hoarding, I would simply change the appearance of the hoarding once your lease period got over. Say, if initially it was a cell number in blue over a white hoarding, I would probably put up an orange background with the new number in white.

So who made a loss in the process? :)

Ganesh said...

saddists (or to be more sophisticated, scheming studs!), may I say! :P

--xh-- said...

good way to take revenge if u have some grouse againist that hording or the hording owner. but what if teh hording owner repaints the hording in new color and put his number? then ppl will look at it again... ;)

all or nothing said...

Inference: Joblessness leads to creativity. Atleast what they call 'thinking out of the box'.

Anonymous said...

he might not lose much of a business any way you have paid for the months to put the wrong number and there might be new customers to call him after that period all he have to do is right more than the "contact 98843.." and say the previous ad was giving by a weirdo to distract his customers. ;)

Ducky said...

That's three months of people missing out on a chance to watch a hot babe in high res. Apart from that, you aren't really achieving anything ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds extremely stupid dude.

It's not your residence number to memorize. Most importantly, any advertiser will type the number in the keypad and call. If he wants to advertise after your lease period is over, he will once again type the number in the keypad and call or would use the old number.

Also, you sign some agreement with the hoarding owner. He even sees as to what you put up on the hoarding.

Bottomline: Brainless post! This is the problem with people who think they are intelligent. You should know what you do not know!

CB said...

Dear Anon (dude)

You leave me with no doubt on your stupidity, considering you've taken this seriously and actually given it a thought as a business proposition. The thought of jest did not cross your mind? Wrong part of the brain working?

Well, I'm not sure if I know what I don't know, but I'm sure you don't know me. Sounds like I've to tag my posts as 'Fun' for you guys to get it.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of 'fun' do you know some LG monitors come with a button marked 'fun' which does 'fun' things like applying a concave mirror effect to ur screen or making it sepia. Now thats what I call 'fun'

CB said...

@Jumba: No, I didn't know..that LG..bla bla.

Ya, fun is subjective, entirely judgmental. Like how I have been finding the comment section exceedingly 'fun' of late.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.