10/08/2005

Suttum vizhi...

Well..I wonder, as to why music has such an enormous impact on most of our lives. Its a sweet mystery, as to what happens to our brain when we hear a tune that somehow matches the frequency of our nerve cells..and we just feel like going on with it, on and on..feel like closing our eyes, imagining ourselves in an alien, heavenly infinitely vast place, with only us, and the song..There IS most obviously a CERTAIN relationship between music and our response to it..The basic inspiration for this post is a song from one of the recent tamil movie 'ghajini' called 'suttum vizhi'. This has become one of my all time favourites, dunno why, as whenever I listen to it, with Bombay Jayashree's voice sweeping my body away,I almost reach an unconscious state,
unconscious of the sorroundings, and all I hear is...the music. Thats the main point why this post came up..This is not an extraordinary song or anything, but somehow, SOMEHOW, it takes my mind with it, and I feel there is some unseen force thats overpowering me, making me go in waves with the song..I am lost for words..Someone..someone, please explain..!!

Harris Jayaraj is GOD..

8 comments:

ada-paavi!!!! said...

hmm, i too like that song, especially the picturisation, its done well, true as u said there are some songs which i can listen to on and on and still not get bored

CB said...

Well..I am the last person who actually listens and does things based on hype..If I like it, I go on, else, I do not care even if the person is highly hyped..and yes, comparing Rahman and Harris is like comparing Pele and Rooney..give him time..for a relative newcomer, Harris is doing an awesome job..

Ducky said...

Harris Jayaraj PLUS Bombay Jayashree is gawd... Vaseegara/ Ondra Renda...

Yeah, Rahman is Rahman, HJ is HJ... to each his own.

CB said...

Aah..please..don't compare sudha raghunathan with jayashree..at least I find sudha intolerable..( in the filmi part..i don't hear much of classical..)And jayashree's voice ain't supposed to be sweet..its husky..and as for her career moves, I am not so sure..her voice gets me going..so I rather don't mind..and yes, I think you gotto listen to suttum vizhi, I don't see a single reason why this song doesn't seem from the bottom of the heart..besides, the lyrics are bharatiyar poetry, my dear..

AG said...

If your falling in love with Harris Jayaraj's songs, then u've got a lot farther to go w.r.t this fascination for moody songs... I assure u that there r better compositions which can trigger impacts in ur head.. Mebbe this song struck the right chord in ur head, but lets not generalize saying 'Harris Jayaraj is gawd n all'..k ??
Im not anti-Harris or whatever, but just that I see Godliness in just one person - Ilaiyaraaja..
But everyone's opinion is different etc etc, So im not forcing my opinion on u that way...
Cheers..
BTW, im Ajit(Tapti), ducky's friend..
(http://55blogs.blogspot.com)

CB said...

Ya da..I agree that illairaja is GOD..i mean..cmon..u again can't compare illairaja and harris..okee..i think it was the spur of the moment when i mentioned that harris is god..anyways, that song is seriously good..!

AG said...

yeah..The song is nice too.. I liked it.. There's always this trouble of words not fitting properly to the tune which is evident in this song.. Happens with most songs today.. That dint happen for Raaja coz both lyric writing and composing was done simultaenously by him.. He used to sit with the lyricist in his room and do it.. Not the sitn these days.. They write lyrics and send it to the composer.. K anyway, nice blog..

Viji said...

Hey Karthik,
Viji here... Bombay Jaishree's voice gets me going too. BJ has an excellent soothing voice, talent and bhaavam. Her selection of songs is good too... In a kutcheri or cassette release, she doesn't always go for the popular songs, whereas Sudha tends to do that.
Her pronounciation is also better than that of Sudha.